Foundations of Faith (1896 - 1924)
Catholic ministry in Helotes began in 1896, with Mass and sacraments occasionally offered in private homes. In 1908, a simple wooden chapel was built on the grounds of the Helotes Catholic Cemetery on Bandera Road, serving the community until it burned down in 1924.
Rebuilding and Establishing Roots (1924 - 1943)
After the fire, services returned to private homes. In 1943, on donated land and with a $1,500 gift from the Catholic Extension Society, a new church was built on the site of the present Eucharistic Chapel. The cornerstone was laid on Sunday, September 26, 1943. Although work continued until mid-1944, the church was dedicated on October 24, 1943, and the first Mass was celebrated on December 12, 1943 - the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
Expansion and Parish Status (1954 - 1968)
In 1954, the church welcomed its first resident priest following the construction of a combined rectory and office building. To support a growing congregation, the church purchased additional land in1964 and built a CCD building to serve as both a classroom and a community center. The following year, the 1943 church building was expanded to double its original size, receiving a new entrance and a bell tower. The church celebrated its silver jubilee in 1967, marking the milestone with sanctuary renovations and new pews. A year later, on the December 12, 1968 Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the church officially achieved full parish status.
Meeting the Needs of a Growing Community (1976 - 1990)
By 1976, the parish had grown to approximately 400 families, prompting the conversion of the old office and rectory entirely into office space. A new Parish Family Residence (PFR), dedicated on June 25, 1978, housed the resident priest and provided a meeting space for parish organizations, study clubs, prayer groups and a Sunday nursery.
As growth continued, the parish surpassed 700 families by 1981, leading to construction on a Parish Community Center (PCC), now known as the Parish Hall. Dedicated on January 31, 1982, the PPC featured an activity hall, classrooms, meeting rooms, a kitchen, and a pantry.
By 1989, the parish grew to over 950 families, creating seating shortages at the Mass. To accommodate everyone, the parish decided to build a larger church encompassing the original structure. Construction began on September 10, 1989, marked by a prayer service and a procession where parishioners carried their symbols of worship to the Parish Community Center, which served as a temporary sanctuary. The finished church was dedicated one year later on October 14, 1990.
A New Chapter with Diocesan Clergy (2006 - 2008)
In May 2006, after the Society of Mary decided to withdraw from local parish ministry, the community gathered to bid farewell and thank the Marianists for their decades of faithful service. The resident Marianist community - Fathers Gerry Hammel and Jerry Pleva, and Brother John Rohe - subsequently relocated to new provincial assignments.
A new chapter began in June 2006 with the arrival of diocesan priests from the Archdiocese of San Antonio. On June 20, 2006, Auxiliary Bishop Thomas Flanagan installed Monsignor Carlos Davalos as pastor and the newly ordained Father Jesus Camacho as parochial vicar. Two years later, in 2008, Archbishop Jose Gomez reassigned Father Camacho to serve as Parish Administrator for St. Joseph in Del Rio.
Modern Challenges, Continued Blessings (2020 - Present)
In the summer of 2020, Our Lady of Guadalupe experienced a changing of the guard. On August 9, 2020, Archbishop Gustavo García-Siller installed Father Scott Janysek, previously the pastor of St. Jerome Catholic Church in San Antonio, as the new pastor. During his first year, Father Janysek was joined by two parochial vicars: Father Ricardo Ramirez, newly ordained on March 20, 2020 for the Archdiocese of San Antonio, and Father Jesuraja “Raja” Alangaram of the Missionaries of St. Francis de Sales (MSFS), who was assigned in 2019.
Navigating the COVID-19 pandemic, this trio of priests worked tirelessly to care for a socially distanced community. They embraced digital tools like Zoom and Facebook Live to broadcast Masses, adoration, daily reflections, and Father Janysek's virtual cooking club. Despite these challenges, the parish continued to thrive.
Clergy changes continued over the next few years. In the summer of 2021, Archbishop Garcia-Siller reassigned Father Ramirez to serve as Parish Administrator of St. Ann Catholic Church in San Antonio. In the summer of 2023, Father Alangaram was reassigned as pastor of St. Paul Catholic Church in San Antonio, and Father Jenish "Luke" Jose, a priest of the Heralds of Good News religious order, officially joined the pastoral staff as the new parochial vicar.
The parish saw further transitions in July 2025, when Father Janysek was assigned to Notre Dame Catholic Church in Kerrville, Texas. Father Robert Ploch from Our Lady of the Peace in Kenedy, Texas, was then assigned to Our Lady of Guadalupe.
In January 2026, Father Rafael Becerra was appointed as the Parish Administrator, and Father Ploch returned to Our Lady of the Peace. Father Becerra, who recently celebrated his two-year ordination anniversary, previously served as the parochial vicar at Holy Spirit Catholic Church in San Antonio and spent two months as a resident priest at Our Lady of the Peace in Kenedy, TX, and St. Anthony in Runge, TX, before his assignment here. Following his term as administrator, Father Becerra was officially appointed as the new pastor of Our Lady of Guadalupe on July 1rs, 2026.
Today, the parish continues to grow rapidly. It now counts over 6,000 registered households - a remarkable journey from the 125 people who gathered for the first Mass on December 12, 1943.
Conclusion
From its humble beginnings in private living rooms to a bustling community of thousands, Our Lady of Guadalupe has stood as a beacon faith in Helotes for over a century. Through changing eras, global trials, and generations of shifting leadership, the enduring spirit of worship and community remains unchanged. Guided by its dedicated clergy and the devotion of its parishioners, the parish looks forward to the future, ever rooted in the rich legacy of its past.